PUTNAM COUNTY – The Putnam County School System will conduct the annual Kindergarten and Early Enrollment period beginning Tuesday, Apr. 5, and ending on Friday, Apr. 22, at 3 p.m.
Caregivers of children who will be five on or before August 15, 2022, will want to save the date for in-person Kindergarten registration on Tuesday, Apr. 12, at individual school sites from 1-5 p.m.
“At Kindergarten open house, children will have the opportunity to be inside their school, meet teachers and explore their new learning environment before the first day of school beginning July 29, 2022,” said Dr. Diana Wood, PreK – 4 Instructional Supervisor. “Caregivers will leave the event with their child enrolled and will have information on the school and district policies; school transportation; before and after school child care and extended day possibilities; and school nutrition information.”
The state law regarding Kindergarten eligibility has changed. Please read the following carefully:
- Children must be five years of age on or before August 15, 2022.
- Occasionally, caregivers with children who are barely five according to the eligibility age inquire about the possibility of “redshirting” for one year and enrolling them in kindergarten at age five. State law mandates that a child must have attended an approved kindergarten program to be eligible for first grade (TCA 49-6-201) and enrolled in a public or nonpublic school at age six (TCA 49-6-3001).
Caregivers will need to bring the required documentation to their zoned school on Kindergarten registration day as a part of the enrollment process:
- Birth Certificate or other acceptable proof of age.
- Two proofs of Putnam County residency (utility bill, lease, homeowners policy, etc.)
- Immunization Record on a Tennessee Certificate of Immunization. State law requires that a complete, up-to-date certificate must be provided to the school before the child can attend.
- In addition, documentation of a physical examination is required within 12 months of the school year state date.
- Any custody verification documentation, if applicable.
- (Optional) Social Security card.
Early Enrollment for New Students
There will be three ways for families to begin the early enrollment process for new students:
- The primary way will be for families to use an online option. By April 5, there will be a link on the Putnam County School System’s website to register for school and set up an optional account for PowerSchool. Once the online registration is submitted, schools will contact families to set a time to visit the school site and complete the process in person.
- Pick up a paper-based enrollment form from a school or the Central Office located at 1400 W. Spring St. in Cookeville.
- Families can make a phone call to contact the school and establish a time to complete the enrollment process totally in person at the appropriate school.
“A helpful part of the enrollment process is knowing the school you are zoned for and what school options you have,” said Chris Pierce, Attendance Supervisor for PCSS. “Please visit www.pcsstn.com and navigate to the Enrollment Zone Finder application for zoning information and the “Early Enrollment and Kindergarten Registration” page for approved school options for newly enrolling students for the 2022-23 School Year.”
Questions regarding school transportation or school zones can be directed to Putnam County School System’s Transportation Department at 526-9342. Other questions regarding registering children for Kindergarten or early enrollment may be answered by the zoned school or by calling the Putnam County Board of Education at 526-9777.