TDEC to offer hazardous waste collection in Macon, Putnam Sept. 24

COOKEVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation will bring its mobile household hazardous waste collection service to Macon and Putnam counties on Saturday, Sept. 24.

Since the program’s inception in 1993, more than 322,000 households have properly disposed of more than 21 million pounds of material.

“It is our goal to make disposing of household hazardous waste convenient and reliable for Tennessee citizens, and at no cost,” said Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation Commissioner Bob Martineau. “Every spring and fall we roll out these events statewide to ensure unneeded waste is not posing a risk to citizens.”

On Saturday, Sept. 24, any Tennessee resident may bring his or her household hazardous waste to the following locations.

  • Macon County – Career Center, 607 Highway 52 Bypass East from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Debbie Richardson at (615) 699-3707.
  • Putnam County – Putnam County Fairgrounds in Cookeville from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Keith Street at (931) 528-3884.


HHW material is considered flammable, toxic, reactive and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage. Typical items to dispose of include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent lamps, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals, paint thinner and used needles in sturdy containers. Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics and any empty containers that should be disposed in normal trash.

While household waste may be disposed for free, there is a cost for disposal of Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Waste (i.e. wastes from non-household sources such as businesses, schools, farms, churches, etc.). An appointment is also necessary. Call (615) 643-3170 to request a price quote and schedule an appointment.

Many counties and municipalities meet the needs of local residents by providing collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze and electronic scrap – or BOPAE, as it is sometimes called. When handled correctly, these BOPAE materials are minimally hazardous, but inappropriate for collection at household hazardous waste events. Contact your local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in your area.

When transporting materials to the site, place containers in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper to prevent spills and cross-contamination in the trunk of a car or back of a truck. Be sure to keep materials away from children and pets. Materials should be kept in the original containers whenever possible. If not, place each waste in a separate plastic container with a secure lid and label its contents.

For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, call (800) 287-9013 or visit

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.