NASHVILLE – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District invites the public to attend a commemoration to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Dale Hollow Dam and Reservoir 10 a.m. (CST) Friday, Oct. 19, 2018 at the dam’s overlook in Celina, Tenn. The dam and reservoir will serve as the backdrop for this historical occasion.
Officials will unveil a Tennessee State Historical Marker during the ceremony. Local dignitaries will join Lt. Col. Cullen Jones, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District commander, in commemorating the project. The Corps also plans to dedicate the project since the dam was not dedicated in 1943 during World War II.
The public is encouraged to arrive early for the commemoration as there will be historical time related pre-music at 9:45 a.m. performed by singer/songwriter Delnora.
The public is also invited to take part in a free walk-in open house of the Dale Hollow Dam Visitor’s Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please note this is not a tour of the powerhouse or dam. There will be exhibits in the Visitor’s Center and a view of the generator floor from the gallery. Open house visitors do have to register in advance for background checks at
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080948a4a92eaafa7-dale1. There is a limit of 200 slots and the deadline to sign up is Oct. 12, 2018, one week prior to the open house.
The Corps of Engineers is also providing free day use entry at Dale Hollow Lake Oct. 19-21 as part of the celebration. This includes Pleasant Grove and Obey River Day Use Areas.
For more information about the commemoration ceremony, call the Resource Manager’s Office at 931-243-3138.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District designed Dale Hollow Dam and Morrison-Knudsen, private contractors under the supervision of the Corps, built the dam. The Corps awarded the contract Dec. 30, 1941 and mobilization, clearing and construction of roadways and support structures began immediately. Construction of the dam began March 2, 1942. With sister construction of civil works projects suspended due to war, Dale Hollow Dam was rushed to completion on Oct. 20, 1943, but discontinued construction of the powerhouse.
The Corps fully impounded Dale Hollow Lake May 7, 1944. Work on the power house resumed in July 1946. Three Francis turbines were installed in December 1948, January 1949 and November 1953. Each unit generates 18,000 kilowatts for a total of 54,000 kilowatts, enough power to electrify a community of 45,000 and provide support to the national grid.
The dam impounds a length of 61 miles of the Obey River creating Dale Hollow Lake with 620 miles of shoreline, 27,700 acres of water, and 24,842 acres of land for recreational opportunities.
The Dale Hollow Dam’s 75th Anniversary website is available at https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/DaleHollowDam75/ and includes historical video and imagery, news articles and resources.
(The public can obtain news, updates and information from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District on the district’s website at http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/nashvillecorps, and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/nashvillecorps. The public can also follow Dale Hollow Lake on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/dalehollowlake.)